Spicy Kale and Tomato Sauce
It seems the end of one growing season is already here as I look outside to see lots of wilted greens that weren’t picked in time. I’m hopeful that the farmer’s markets but have some for at least the next week or two – but soon I’ll be forced back to the grocery store in order to get one of the staples of my diet: kale. It wasn’t too long ago that I was living a kale-free existence, unaware of this amazingly healthy and tasty treat. Now that I know it’s there – I essentially add it to everything! It adds the perfect crunch with just a hint of bitter, which is perfect for me since I’m allergic to the more common acids (aka citrus). I also understand that kale is not for everyone but I firmly think that’s just because everyone hasn’t tried kale!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 vidalia onion, diced
- 5 roma tomatoes, peeled and halved
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 basil leaves, sliced
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, diced
- 1 cup kale, torn
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add the roma tomatoes, seed side down and cook for 7 minutes, then flip and use a spatula to break down the tomato. Add the fresh herbs and continue cooking for 5 minutes before adding the kale, half at a time.
- Once the kale has cooked down, cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Then Serve and Enjoy!
I served this sauce over some whole wheat pasta but spaghetti squash or polenta would also work well. What’s next? Kale cookies? Kale Cake?? Probably not, but I plan to continue this love affair as long as possible – unless I turn my skin green in which case I might back off.
Now for other gardening news: first red tomato has been picked! There is one more that’s on the verge of ready and another 3 dozen or so close behind. I’ve also jumped up to 8 fairy eggplants and 5 jalapenos I have a feeling July is going to be a delicious month!!!