Curried Chickpeas and Kale
Greetings and welcome to the June installation of Random Recipes! This month we were challenged to randomly select a happy and healthy recipe – something rather easy for me since I only have a few cookbooks dedicated to the sweeter side of life. Once randomly selecting a cookbook, 1000 Vegetarian Recipes, I then selected a section, Entrees, which lead me to the Grains and Beans section and a delicious recipe for Curry Chickpeas and Kale. I did make a few edits to the recipe, fresh ginger for ground and some cayenne powder to add a bit more heat to the dish as well as using red onions.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/4 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cups kale, well washed and roughly torn
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups pre-soaked (or canned) chickpeas
- 1 beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the dry spices and cook for 1 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning, then add the garlic, ginger, and red onion. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the garlic starts to turn golden.
- Slowly add the kale, making sure to not crown the pan, and allow to wilt before adding the vegetable stock and chickpeas. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stir, and Serve!
I served mine topped with some So Delicious Greek Yogurt, but regular yogurt or sour cream would also work – as would some naked beans and kale which is how I had lunch the next day. I also added some couscous to make it a full meal but bulgar or quinoa would also work, or even some brown rice. However you decide to top it this is a great and quick dinner that is packed full of vitamins, nothing like a good tasting good for you meal! Thanks again Dom for hosting another awesome month of Random Recipes.