Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes with Creamcheese Icing
Another week, another /52weeks challenge! This week the theme is desserts, meaning that I HAD to make something all sorts of decadent. Sure there are tons of “healthy” desserts out there, but there is something to be said about a truly scrumptious (calorie heavy) chocolate dessert. For the challenge this week I let Joe pick the dessert, and he was very clear about what he wanted: chocolate, cupcake, cheesecake, and caramel. I wasn’t able to fit in the caramel due to a miscalculation on my part with my caramel syrup, but everything else found a home in this recipe. For the cheesecake filling, I decided to use the technique I learned doing my cookie-dough cupcakes. The basic idea is freeze the filling and layer it in the cupcake dough, that way it doesn’t “bake” and stays soft and moist.
- 3 oz creamcheese, room temperature
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz dark chocolate, finely crushed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa - unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup milk, divided
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Fold in the crushed chocolate. Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes but no more than 2hrs. Keep in freezer or fridge until right before filling the cupcakes.
- In a small bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking cocoa, and salt. Set Aside
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin with a dozen regular size cupcake foils.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes. Add the egg and continue mixing, slowly adding in half the milk. Add half of the dry ingredients and make sure they are blended before adding the remaining milk. Mix until everything is just blended.
- To fill the cupcake liners, fill the tin halfway then add 1/2 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture before filling the rest of the liner. Each liner should be 3/4 full. Bake for 17minutes, then allow to sit in cooling oven for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Fully cool before icing
- 5 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar. Slowly add in the milk and vanilla extract.
For a creamier icing substitute powdered sugar for the regular white sugar!
These cupcakes are really rich, so perfect for hard-core chocolate lovers like my husband. Since I have to be careful about what I’m eating, I left the icing off of mine and had to make due with a test spoon of the icing to make sure it was just right.