Three Green Pasta Sauce
5 days until the big day…5 days until I’m married to my best friend. I’m thrilled and nervous and excited and everything else! In an attempt to settle my nerves I have spent some time in the kitchen trying out new recipes and messing around with new ingredients. I finally got around to testing out some delicious chard and kale recipes, including the one I’m featuring today. As an added bonus I included some spinach to make this a true leafy green smorgasbord. The fact that this sauce comes together relatively quickly, just makes it all the better.
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup swiss chard, well washed, removed from the stalk and torn into large pieces
- 1 cup kale, well washed, removed from the stalk and torn into large pieces
- 2 cups baby spinach, well washed, removed from the stalk and torn into large pieces
- 1/2 vidalia onion, diced
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1/4 Parmesan Cheese, finely grated (optional)
- 1 lb of your favorite pasta, cooked
- In a large sauce pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes, until slightly golden. Gradually add in the greens, making sure to not over fill the pan, and cook until all the greens are soft and tender. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, then slowly add the half and half. Bring to a soft simmer and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Serve tossed with your favorite pasta and topped with the grated cheese.
This recipe could be easily adapted for vegans but switching the half & half for a thicker un-flavored almond milk, but avoid coconut milk as it tends to be too runny for this dish. The sauce is also amazing as part of a vegetable lasagna, just add a few tomatoes, ricotta cheese, and a gourmet dish is just an oven away.
This spring vegetables dish is also the perfect recipe for simple and in season, since all three of the featured greens are in peak season right now. For more seasonal supers be sure to check out Fabulicious Foods for the entire April meet-up.