Italian White Beans
Secret Recipe Club is BACK BABY! Took one month off to celebrate the holidays but now that 2012 is in full swing it’s time to explore new recipes and make new blogging friends. This month I was assigned Kitchen Trial and Error and immediately started bookmarking all the amazing recipes I wanted to try. Eventually I settled on the deliciously simple Italian White Bean recipe, and with a few tweaks turned it into a great mid-week dinner. This is easily one of those recipes that can modified and adjusted to create a number of different dinners.
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves stripped and minced
- pinch of coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 30 ounces canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups couscous, cooked
- Blend the onion, garlic, and rosemary together to create a puree and then add the salt.
- Coat the bottom of a saute pan with olive oil and saute the onion mixture over medium heat. cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and and beans. depending on how dry the mixture is, add a tablespoon or two of water. cook until the beans are hot through and coated with sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over couscous
I have a hunch these beans would also go create over a spinach salad or inside of a pita with some fresh slices of tomato and onion. This recipe is about as simple as it gets but it really shows how much can be done with a few basic ingredients