Chipotle Salad w/Tomato Bean Salsa
You know you are in trouble when: in trying to locate a salad recipe you can’t find ANY main entree vegetarian salads. When I saw that this months Forever Nigella challenge hosted by Belleau Kitchen was Salads, I thought I was in luck. After all the go to dish for a vegetarian is a simple salad. Alas that was not to be the case… While Nigella offers a number of delicious side salads, including a delicious tomato salad, in searching her website I couldn’t locate ONE entree salad that was meat free. I tried looking through a few of her books at the local store but still no luck. I found chicken and steak and even one that involved lamb but alas no true vegetarian salad. However I found light at the end of the tunnel, a chicken chipotle salad that featured a delicious sounding bean salsa. I decided to take my go to Chipotle Salad recipe and double Nigella’s bean salsa in order to serve as the protein.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
For Dressing: (Warning: SPICY!)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 5oz can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, well washed and torn
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, well washed and torn
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, pealed and diced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- Blend all of the dressing ingredients, minus the chili powder, together in a food processor. Taste and then add the chili powder, if too spicy add more sour cream.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve into bowls and then top with the tomato black bean salsa.
I am hopeful that next month’s feature will be more vegetarian friendly, but even if it’s not I’m enjoying the challenge of converting recipes. Plus the energy that goes into the writing found in Nigella’s cookbooks is positively contagious, which inspires me to want to do more!