I am writing this while trying to be patient and allow the delicious peach crisp currently baking in my oven to cook the full time…and not go at it with a fork. There is just something about the smell of baked peaches that just makes me very happy! So I am just relaxing, catching up on some of the recipes from before my vacation. In theory if I do another post later this evening I should be all caught up, but we shall see!
This recipe is an example of what happens when I go out to eat. I see something yummy that involves meat (in this case chicken) and start thinking of how I can make that vegetarian. Occasionally my brain will then start wondering if I can take it a step further and make it vegan but in this case that did not happen. So the chicken became tofu and the broth became veggie based rather then whatever it was before. The result was delicious, this is a recipe that will be making a regular rotation at my house!
- 1/2 lb cooked spaghetti (angel hair will also work)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups tofu, cubed
- 1 cup eggplant, cut into 1/2 in. rings and then quartered
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- assorted seasonings to taste (basil, parsley, oregano, and bay leaves all found their way into mine
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish
- heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the eggplant and tofu and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the tofu has begun to turn golden on the sides. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Set Aside.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth, creating a roux. Turn heat to low and gradually stir in the milk and broth.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a low boil for a minute, stirring constantly. Add sherry and seasonings. Stir in the cooked pasta along with the tofu vegetable mixture. Pour everything into the prepared baking dish and top with the cheese.
- Bake 30minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned. Enjoy!